Anyone engaging in business must obtain a license (PDF) and pay a non-refundable license fee (Republic Ord. 605.010) except for the following:
- Christian science
- Religious, charitable, and non-profit civic organizations
- Businesses wishing to sell intoxicating liquors of all kinds.
- Massage therapists
- Cigarette sales
- Pawnshops and pawnbrokers
- When a business license is issued, it will be for the type of business listed only. Any change in the type of business will require a new application to be submitted.
- Any false information listed will render the application null and void.
- If you are a contractor, you must include a copy of your Worker’s Comp Liability Certificate. If you are exempt from Worker's Comp Insurance, please provide a notarized copy of the Missouri Exemption Form. Please contact our office for the Exemption Form.
- Any person, firm or corporation who is required to pay sales tax to the City of Republic, Missouri, must provide a "No Tax Due Statement." You may request the "No Tax Due Statement" from the Missouri Department of Revenue.
- Several departments must approve your business application before a business license is issued. Please remember, it is unlawful to conduct business prior to the business license being issued.
- The term of licenses issued shall be for one year, beginning January 1st and ending December 31st of the same year. Application fees are pro-rated beginning with the first day of October. You may also purchase a temporary license which is good for 90 days; however, the temporary license cannot be renewed.
- No license shall be transferable from one person to another.
- A separate license shall be obtained for each place of business.
- Every person engaged in more than 1 occupation, where such occupations are operated as 1 business under the same management and at the same location, shall pay an individual license for each business.
- Please contact the City Clerk's Office at 417-732-3140 if you have any questions regarding the business license process.