Special Use Permits

Application Process

Any property owner wishing to have land uses that are not listed with permitted land uses for the property's zoning district must complete and submit a Special Use Permit Application and Checklist (PDF) to the City's Community Development Department. A processing fee of $175 shall be applied to each application.

Before submitting an application for special use, the city requires that the applicant first schedule an appointment with the city's Principal Planner to discuss the proposed action. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Community Development Office at 417-732-3150.

Allowable Special Uses

Allowable special uses include the following:
  1. Any public building erected and used by any department of the City, County, State or Federal Government.
  2. Commercial amusement or recreational development for temporary or seasonal periods.
  3. Cemetery or mausoleum on a site of 20 acres or more; provided that any mausoleum shall be located at least 200 feet from any street or lot line.
  4. Hospitals and institutions, except institutions for criminals and for persons who are mentally ill or have contagious diseases; provided however, that such buildings may occupy not over 25% of the total area of the lot or tract and will not have any serious depreciating effect upon the value of the surrounding property; and provided further, that the buildings shall be set back from all yard lines heretofore established an additional distance of not less than two feet for every foot of building height, and that adequate off-street parking space will be provided.
  5. Greenhouses and plant nurseries.
  6. Radio or television broadcasting tower or station over 50 feet in height.
  7. Guyed or lattice telecommunication towers located in "AG" or "C-2" Districts, when complying with the regulations in Section 405.170(B)(8).
  8. Mono-pole telecommunications towers located in any district, when complying with the regulations in Section 405.170(B)(8).
  9. Group day-care homes in any residential district.
  10. Commercial office uses located in any residential district which are associated with low traffic volumes such as; accounting, architecture, drafting, engineering, law and associated professional consulting services as approved by the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council.
  11. Neighborhood markets, convenience stores and gasoline / fuel stations located in residential districts.
  12. The sale of merchandise by traveling vendors, under tents or other temporary facilities, located in "C-1", "C-2", "M-1" or "M-2" Districts. Temporary facilities shall not be permitted beyond a three month period per year unless permitted as a permanent structure.
  13. Veterinary facility or similar establishment located in "C-2", "M-1" or "M-2" Districts for the treatment and boarding of all animals, large and small.
  14. The temporary use of land for purposes associated with the support of active public improvement projects.